Monday, September 2, 2013

A Change is Gonna Come

My happiness! Kids home from school!
We had a lot of big changes in our house this week! 

Michael man began 6th grade and Madison started her new daycare.

On Sunday afternoon Thing #1 (Michael) stood in the kitchen talking to me while I did the dishes. I asked him if he was excited for school and he told me he was more nervous than anything. He was worried he wouldn't know where to go. I tried explaining to him that it was perfectly normal to feel that way but the day would probably be the most exciting one he has all year. I told him he'd see friends he hadn't seen all summer long and make new ones. 

He called us Tuesday night to let us know he had a great day and that a certain "country girl" caught his eye. He's still working on getting her name but I keep telling him his only concern should be school instead of a girls name. Who am I kidding right? I wish I could say his interest in girls is a new development but from the moment I met Michael I called him a mini Casanova. He used to sit in my lap, look up at me with love and admiration all while whispering sweet nothings in my ear like jewelry and rides in his car. Did I mention this was at the age of 4? Yeah we're in big trouble! 

I tried telling him that girls at this age are filthy creatures who carry cooties (kidding, kidding!) but he just shakes his head and looks at me like I'm crazy. I so miss the days when I was "She-sha". I would give anything for him to look at me like I'm the coolest person again. Now I'm just plain old "Wiggam" who knows so much less than he does. I've heard about growing pains but always thought that pertained to the child. I never thought it would relate to the parent too. Such is life!

Anyway, Thing #2 (Madison) started a new daycare. She used to attend an at home daycare where a family friend watched her. While that daycare was great my husband and I decided we wanted Madison to have a little more structure in her life. I was obviously nervous and scared! The first day was a big surprise to me. She walked in like she had been there forever, sat down on the carpet with the rest of the kids and said, "hey guys!". The second day she wanted me to play blocks on the floor with her, "Sit Mommy, sit!" patting the ground. I told her we'd play later on and that I had to go to work. I got a kiss and then said, "Bye Mads!". Her response? "Bye Mommy, see you later!". The teachers gave me a reassuring smile and that's when I knew things were going to be okay. She no longer uses a binky and is using the "big girl potty" on a regular basis! Multiple teachers this week told me, "She is just such a happy girl, she's like that all day!". Hearing that makes me smile because a child who is well loved is a happy child and I'm glad Madison displays that.


One of Madison's daily report cards. Love the note at the bottom left! 


So like I said .. we had big changes but those big changes were WONDERFUL! I am so incredibly proud of both kids. They're turning into amazing little people. What more could a parent want?

Thing #3 (Gunner) is doing exceptionally well. The other reason I was against getting Gunner was because puppies are TOO MUCH WORK! He is a lot of work but I thought it was going to be harder. He's actually spoiling us if you think about it. The pup rarely has any accidents in the house and if he does it's because we weren't paying attention to the signs. He will scratch at the back door or bark at us when he needs to go out. When he's tired, like clockwork at 9pm if he is not cuddling up by someone he will simply go upstairs, get into his crate and fall asleep. Such a good doggie! 

The lesson in the Cramer house this week was about change. It's usually scary but always necessary in life. Good and bad you will adjust! 

To quote one of my favorite movies ... 

"Childhood is what you spend the rest of your life trying to overcome. That's what Momma always says. "She says that beginnings are scary, endings are usually sad, but it's the middle that counts the most. Try to remember that when you find yourself at a new beginning just give hope a chance to float up .. and it will too." - Hope Floats


2 comments:

  1. Great quote Alicia! I'm happy that things are going well with your new changes! You are a great Mom and that shows in your children! Would love to see all of you sometime! Take Care! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aunt Kathy! We would love to get together too! Let's set something up soon okay? Miss and love you!

    ReplyDelete